More and more people are starting to learn karate, there are people joining karate dojo every minute of every day and there are just as many people who want to practice karate, but have no where to go!
NO ONE can say you CANNOT learn karate by yourself, of course we recommend a good karate dojo, but if that’s not possible, ANYONE with the right attitude can practice karate on their own.
Not just individuals, thousands of families around the world are realizing the physical and psychological benefits of practicing karate or attending karate classes. When the families finish their karate training, the parents, just like individuals who practice on their own, are online, looking for the karate moves that they just practiced at home or at the dojo.
In today’s fast paced world, it is great to be able to access karate tutorials online. You can then learn karate online, from anywhere and at any time, the internet truly is, an incredible phenomenon.
Saying that, there are some words of caution when trying to learn karate online by yourself.
1. You have no Sensei (teacher), watching over you at home.
2. Bad habits can quickly develop.
3. It is sometimes hard to focus, when you are practicing on your own.
4. When practicing the karate kata (forms), space may be an issue.
So here are a few tips to apply when trying to learn karate at home.
1. I always make a quick note of the karate moves, I am about to practice.
2. When I have finished each exercise, I always tick or cross out, on my list of karate moves
3. Be strict with your time allotted for each exercise and STICK to it.
4. If you can, at the next karate class, ask your sensei to check your karate techniques.
The internet is an incredible resource and training tool, try not to just work on technique, look into the history and philosophy of the martial arts. As master Gichin Funakoshi said, ‘The ultimate aim of the art of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the characters of its participants’.
Great care should be taken when practicing karate moves, if practiced incorrectly they may cause injury, so if possible, please find a qualified instructor and sign up for their karate classes, if not, you will have a disadvantage, but many times, the best martial artists in the world, are the ones who did not have it handed to them on a silver plate! 🙂